A crab that lives in burrows inland and migrates in large numbers to the sea to breed.
- Family Gecarcinidae: Cardisoma and other genera
More example sentences
- The woods around the fort buildings are a good place to spot several kinds of land crab, and migrant bird species nest in the nearby marsh.
- However, there are also swimming crabs and land crabs, and the range of sizes and configurations is huge.
- This phenomenon has been particularly thoroughly studied in land crabs, which often occur in habitats containing both seawater and freshwater.
Definition of land crab in:
- The US English dictionary