Definition of land yacht in English:
1A wind-powered wheeled vehicle with sails, used for recreation and sport.
- The CPS has had to establish what legal status a sail powered land yacht comes under and investigate ancient by-laws covering the use of the beach and the legal responsibilities of the club and the council.
- Last night they were racing a land yacht over the aerodrome until nearly midnight and Kraig was out on the quad racer until I came and spoiled his fun (must hide those keys).
- In 1962, he was invited to join Rotary, where he passed on his ideas for the madcap Henley-on-Todd Regatta, which had sprung from an idea for a land yacht at the infrequently used airstrip in the early days.
1.1North American informal A very large car: the bechromed land yachts of the 1950's
More example sentences
- Throughout the 1950s and '60s, Americans were enjoying the golden age of the behemoth land yacht - the age of the Cadillac Sedan DeVille and the Lincoln Town Car - that signaled a different sense of self than the SUV.
- While running errands the other day I pulled up behind a vintage, red, convertible Cadillac land yacht.
- And when the ladies' lumbering land yacht runs out of petrol, they coincidentally find themselves at Bradley's doorstep.
Definition of land yacht in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan