noun(usually landing lights)
1A bright light on an aircraft that is switched on prior to landing.
- The light increased intensity and became exceptionally bright like aircraft landing lights, but it was curious because it was moving way too fast and way too high to be a commercial airliner.
- As grieving wives, parents and close relatives of the dead gathered on the runway, the first sign of the vast aircraft bringing the servicemen home was its bright landing lights high in the misty sky.
- Everyone dove under cover, and looked out at a set of bright landing lights approaching from the western sky.
1.1A light of a kind that is arranged in rows along each side of an aircraft runway.
- Even the transparent plastic floor on which she stood sported countless pulsing lights beneath the surface which coiled off in various directions as if they were rows of landing lights on a miniature runway.
- She pointed her car up the driveway using the landscape fixtures like landing lights on a runway.
- The runway was well lit by landing lights and backscatter from the city.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: land|ing light
Definition of landing light in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.