Definition of landless in English:
(Especially of an agricultural worker) owning no land: much of the rural population of Chile is landless and poverty-stricken the landless peasants were almost entirely dependent on wages for their livelihood (as plural noun the landless) the government pledged to help the landless and the poor
More example sentences
- With a large population of landless agricultural workers, the pressure on land is enormous.
- Debt-driven small farmers and landless workers have left this district in larger numbers this season.
- The rural poor, especially landless labourers will take a hit five ways, at least.
- Example sentences
- But with poverty and landlessness forcing many villagers and internal refugees elsewhere in Cambodia to move back into mined areas, the need for clearance teams has seldom been stronger.
- Therefore, increasing landlessness (even in terms of occupancy holdings) of the rural population may also lead to less employment generation in agriculture.
- Displacement of families owing to development projects, unemployment and landlessness force the migrant to sell his child for labour.
Definition of landless in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia