- 1A collapse of a mass of earth or rock from a mountain or cliff: the road was blocked by a landslide • figurative businessmen have been buried under a landslide of paperworkMore example sentences
- Kelvin slid down the muddy slope, a landslide of earth, rock and ferns pushing him to the foot of the rise.
- Flash flooding caused bridges to collapse and landslides are blocking roads to devastated coastal villages.
- Troops were deployed in helicopters after landslides and collapsed buildings blocked roads.
- 2An overwhelming majority of votes for one party or candidate in an election: they won by a landslideMore example sentences
- I maintain that if any mainstream political party were to embrace the above they would win the next General Election by a landslide.
- The NLD won the 1990 general election by a landslide but has since been blocked from coming to power.
- He also inaugurated his own War on Poverty, winning the 1964 election by a landslide.