- The chemical element of atomic number 57, a silvery-white rare earth metal. (Symbol: La)More example sentences
- It belongs to the family known as the lanthanides, named after the first member of that series, lanthanum.
- Green light is also emitted from some lanthanide elements: lanthanum, cerium, and terbium.
- Oxalate efflux could not be triggered by treatment with the trivalent cation lanthanum or by phosphorus deficiency, indicating that the efflux was specific to the Al treatment.
mid 19th century: from Greek lanthanein 'escape notice' (because it was long undetected in cerium oxide) + -um.
More definitions of lanthanumDefinition of lanthanum in:
- The US English dictionary