Half-hearted or indifferent, especially with respect to religion or politics: this Laodicean cant of tolerance
More example sentences
- James thus allows a confessed murderess to denounce not only the weakling prelate but also the great preponderance of Christians who share his Laodicean faith: ‘Poor bishop!’
- At the same time, we want it understood that ours is not the Laodicean center of Revelation 3.
- As for the Laodicean moderates such as Mr. B and his counterparts on the right, they will, in their broadly middle way, continue to grumble incoherently about this and that.
A person with a Laodicean attitude.
- ‘And when this epistle [see Epistles] is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea’ (Colossians 4: 10-16 KJV).
- Like the Laodiceans, we may even congratulate ourselves on having ‘need of nothing’ - not knowing that spiritually speaking we are ‘wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked’.
- Living intimately with the world, they have become prosperous in the eyes of the Laodiceans but poor and naked in the eyes of God and the author.
Words that rhyme with LaodiceanActaeon, Aegean, aeon (US eon), Augean, Behan, Cadmean, Caribbean, Carolean, Chaldean, Cyclopean, empyrean, epicurean, European, Fijian, Galilean, Hasmonean, Hebridean, Herculean, Ian, Jacobean, Kampuchean, lien, Linnaean (US Linnean), Maccabean, Mandaean (US Mandean), Medicean, monogenean, Nabataean (US Nabatean), Orphean, paean, paeon, pean, peon, Periclean, piscean, plebeian, Pyrenean, Pythagorean, Sabaean, Sadducean, Sisyphean, skean, Tanzanian, Tennesseean, Terpsichorean, theodicean, Tyrolean
Definition of Laodicean in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.