noun (plural laparotomies)
- A surgical incision into the abdominal cavity, for diagnosis or in preparation for major surgery: a further laparotomy was performed [mass noun]: patients undergoing exploratory laparotomyMore example sentences
- Exploratory laparotomy and total abdominal hysterectomy were performed.
- The patient underwent an exploratory laparotomy and small bowel resection.
- Sites need not be marked for other procedures including those with a midline incision, cesarean-sections, laparotomies, and laparoscopies.
mid 19th century: from Greek lapara 'flank' + -tomy.
More definitions of laparotomyDefinition of laparotomy in:
- The US English dictionary