Definition of lapis lazuli in English:
1A bright blue metamorphic rock consisting largely of lazurite, used for decoration and in jewellery.
- Agates were apparently highly valued by the ancient Egyptians for their lapidary use and were mounted into gold with other precious stones such as lapis and emeralds.
- Garnet, emerald, jade, and lapis lazuli are among the gemstones created by metamorphic processes.
- The occurrences, particularly the Tultuy and Malaya Bystraya deposits, are in metasomatized dolonfitic marbles and have been worked for ornamental and architectural lapis sporadically since the mid-1870s.
1.1A bright blue pigment formerly made by crushing lapis lazuli.
- Instead of using traditional Japanese mineral pigments such as azurite, lapis, malachite and cinnabar mixed with gelatin, he employed his familiar oil paints and European gilding methods.
- Instead I pull out my knife to scrape away the paint of her robe, stripping the blue lapis that drapes her shoulders and arms, flaking gold trim into a plastic bag.
1.2A bright blue colour.
- Donaldson's first job was for a private client who wanted her bathroom completely decorated in lapis lazuli.
- These works ranged from swirling, meditative patterns of onyx and white to startling hues of lapis lazuli.
- The little girls wore strings of lapis lazuli, and the little boys blue Chinese Wellies.
Definition of lapis lazuli in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.