Definition of lapis lazuli in English:
1A bright blue metamorphic rock consisting largely of lazurite, used for decoration and in jewellery.
- Agates were apparently highly valued by the ancient Egyptians for their lapidary use and were mounted into gold with other precious stones such as lapis and emeralds.
- Garnet, emerald, jade, and lapis lazuli are among the gemstones created by metamorphic processes.
- The occurrences, particularly the Tultuy and Malaya Bystraya deposits, are in metasomatized dolonfitic marbles and have been worked for ornamental and architectural lapis sporadically since the mid-1870s.
1.1A bright blue pigment formerly made by crushing lapis lazuli.
- Instead of using traditional Japanese mineral pigments such as azurite, lapis, malachite and cinnabar mixed with gelatin, he employed his familiar oil paints and European gilding methods.
- Instead I pull out my knife to scrape away the paint of her robe, stripping the blue lapis that drapes her shoulders and arms, flaking gold trim into a plastic bag.
1.2A bright blue colour.
- Donaldson's first job was for a private client who wanted her bathroom completely decorated in lapis lazuli.
- These works ranged from swirling, meditative patterns of onyx and white to startling hues of lapis lazuli.
- The little girls wore strings of lapis lazuli, and the little boys blue Chinese Wellies.
Definition of lapis lazuli in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan