- The rate at which air temperature falls with increasing altitude.More example sentences
- Even though the stratosphere has an opposite lapse rate to the troposphere because of the ozone absorption, the effect of increasing GHGs is the same, i.e. since it is above the effective radiating level, it will cool.
- A lapse rate is defined as the rate of change in temperature observed while moving upwards through the Earth's atmosphere.
- Gale predicted and demonstrated a potential increase of transpiration with altitude when there is less than the average lapse rate of ambient temperature (about 0.6°C / 100 m at mid-latitudes).
More definitions of lapse rateDefinition of lapse rate in:
- The US English dictionary