- A rope used as a lasso or for tethering.More example sentences
- Their stocky Indian driver, pigtailed and black-hatted, followed them astride a mule and quirted their hindquarters with a length of rope which he swung like a lariat.
- Shebala and his son Sheldon, 24, used lariats to tie up one of the animals legs force it to lie on the ground.
- A gaggle of cowboys walk by en route to the rodeo tent, lariats swinging.
mid 19th century: from Spanish la reata from la 'the' and reatar 'tie again' (based on Latin aptare 'adjust', from aptus 'apt, fitting').
More definitions of lariatDefinition of lariat in:
- The US English dictionary