(also lateen sail)
- A triangular sail on a long yard at an angle of 45° to the mast.More example sentences
- Also, the fore-and-aft sail on the mizzenmast, originally a triangular lateen sail, was changed to accommodate the more modern rig.
- An old family friend had hooked a lateen sail while fishing at a local creek.
- In fact, of course, the Arabs' contributions to the world have been crucial, from algebra to the lateen sail, from Sufi spirituality to key discoveries in astronomy.
mid 16th century: from French (voile) Latine 'Latin (sail)', so named because it was common in the Mediterranean.
More definitions of lateenDefinition of lateen in:
- The US English dictionary