- 1The fact or quality of happening or arriving after the expected or usual time; unpunctuality: she wouldn’t tolerate lateness in her classMore example sentences
- I had announced myself alongside an apology for my lateness.
- Throughout the day, Grant rode through his command rallying the force in spite of the lateness of reinforcements.
- He made no calls to inform the congregation of his impending lateness.
- 2The fact of being far on in the day or night: she noticed the lateness of the hourMore example sentences
- The only problem in trying to photograph them was the lateness of the hour.
- Emily looked about, just noticing the lateness of the day.
- Actually, given the appalling lateness of the hour, there isn't really any alternative.