noun[mass noun] Physics
- The heat required to convert a solid into a liquid or vapour, or a liquid into a vapour, without change of temperature: the latent heat of fusionMore example sentences
- Conversely, when a gas condenses, it must release this latent heat and become a liquid before it can cool below its boiling temperature.
- Surface warming leads to cumulus convection and release of latent heat, producing warm temperatures throughout the troposphere.
- Also in year 10 we covered heat, including specific heat capacity and latent heat, and conservation of energy.
More definitions of latent heatDefinition of latent heat in:
- The US English dictionary