- The real significance was the difference in tone and style between the beginning of his speech and the latter half.
- Violent times for the poor reigned in the latter half of the last century and into the beginning of this one.
- Joining in the programme in the latter half, she will talk about her career, her father and her music.
- I mention the latter because of what we both saw under a tree some distance from us.
- If dealer does the latter, a second round of bidding occurs in which eldest hand has the right to name the trump suit.
- To be or not to be - I'm rubbish at the former, and the latter isn't an option.
It is not considered good writing style to use latter to refer to more than two things. For an explanation, see former1 (usage).
Old English lætra 'slower', comparative of læt (see late).
Words that rhyme with latterattar, batter, bespatter, chatter, clatter, flatter, hatter, Kenyatta, matamata, matter, natter, patter, platter, ratter, regatta, satyr, scatter, shatter, smatter, spatter, splatter, yatter
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: lat¦ter
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.