Definition of laughingly in English:
1In an amused way; with laughter.
- ‘It just ended up being a huge success,’ Spicer says laughingly, ‘and we couldn't figure it out.
- She laughingly assured us that the curds were made just hours ago.
- ‘It is supposed to be a guest appearance, but I keep telling him that he has made me work real hard by giving me my longest lines ever,’ the actress says laughingly.
1.1With amused ridicule or ludicrous inappropriateness: we finally reached what we laughingly called civilization
More example sentences
- Bitter experience has taught me that resistance is futile, so it was with a heavy heart that I left my so-called home and got behind the wheel of what Brenda laughingly refers to as my ‘car’.
- Around this time of year it's the ‘I'd better do something or I'll never get into one of those sparkly knotted hankies that designers laughingly call party dresses’.
- On the side, while we were doing what we laughingly refer to as ‘research’ for this piece, we came across this story from November 2000.
Definition of laughingly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan