1In an amused way; with laughter.
- ‘It just ended up being a huge success,’ Spicer says laughingly, ‘and we couldn't figure it out.
- She laughingly assured us that the curds were made just hours ago.
- ‘It is supposed to be a guest appearance, but I keep telling him that he has made me work real hard by giving me my longest lines ever,’ the actress says laughingly.
1.1With amused ridicule or ludicrous inappropriateness: we finally reached what we laughingly called civilization
More example sentences
- Bitter experience has taught me that resistance is futile, so it was with a heavy heart that I left my so-called home and got behind the wheel of what Brenda laughingly refers to as my ‘car’.
- Around this time of year it's the ‘I'd better do something or I'll never get into one of those sparkly knotted hankies that designers laughingly call party dresses’.
- On the side, while we were doing what we laughingly refer to as ‘research’ for this piece, we came across this story from November 2000.
Definition of laughingly in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.