Definition of laureate in English:
1A person who is honoured with an award for outstanding creative or intellectual achievement: a Nobel laureate
More example sentences
- Even though Ireland can boast of two other poets who have been internationally honoured as Nobel laureates, the Monaghan man continues to occupy a special niche in our affections.
- The 15,000 pound prize awarded to the laureate is not to be sneezed at but the chance of working with the London Symphony Orchestra for a year is to dream of.
- To a considerable extent, a tight circle of New York intellectuals, Ivy League stars, Nobel laureates and Oxbridge luminaries replaced him and his cohort.
1.1 short for Poet Laureate.
- I fear that the million of whatever currency it is dazzles the British literary world to such an extent that the rest of the laureate's author-compatriots often remain quasi-invisible.
- A talk among three former U.S. poet laureates, and the current laureate was especially telling.
- She was appointed poet laureate of Illinois in 1968 and has been perhaps more active than many laureates.
adjectiveliterary Back to top
Late Middle English (as an adjective): from Latin laureatus, from laurea 'laurel wreath', from laurus 'laurel'.
- Example sentences
- The ultimate acolyte in her youth, now she would be a patient mentor to young writers, with a Pulitzer Prize, two ex-husbands, and a poet laureateship behind her.
- Despite the pre-eminence of the English language, very few British writers have won the Nobel laureateship - a notable exception being John Galsworthy in 1932.
- Interestingly, Larkin's friend and biographer Andrew Motion went on to become the first academic holder of the poet laureateship.
Pronunciation: /ˈlɒrɪətʃɪp/ /ˈlɔːrɪətʃɪp/noun
Words that rhyme with laureatebaccalaureate, professoriate
Definition of laureate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan