(also lawyer cane)
- An Australian climbing palm which is thickly covered in sharp spines and recurved hooks. It grows in rainforest, where groups may form dense tangled thickets.
More example sentences
- Genus Calamus, family Palmae
- You can see examples of their crafts at the Falls Visitor Centre - shields made from fig tree buttresses, eeltraps from woven lawyer cane - and learn how the indigenes were crudely displaced.
- The stretchers are only two saplings with a blanket strung between them and sewn up with lawyer vine.
- Instead of willow, baskets are made from lawyer vine.
early 20th century: probably so named by humorous analogy with ‘tortuous’ legal arguments.