Definition of layering in English:
1The action of arranging something in layers.
- Another risk is the amount of layering, arranging, and producing that went into the songs was beyond our production level and ability.
- Through effective arranging and layering, the final piece of public art becomes a beautiful three-dimensional collaboration.
- There is no layering of instruments or vocals on this record at all; it is all very sparse and close to the bone, and there is nothing to hide behind.
1.1 Geology The presence or formation of layers in sedimentary or igneous rock.
- Thin layering in sedimentary rocks, preferred orientation of crystals or the presence of fractures in subsurface rocks cause anisotropic wave propagation in rock layers.
- The layering in these ultramafic rocks, and their position above mantle tectonites, is attributed to lower crustal igneous processes.
- Sedimentary layering is manifested as alignment of grains and carbonaceous material.
2A method of propagating a plant in which a shoot is fastened down to form roots while still attached to the parent plant.
- Large or disturbed plants regenerate clonally by layering of drooping shoots.
- Clonal progeny may be produced by stolons, runners, rhizomes, tubers, buds on bulbs, corms and roots, layering of stems, and agamospermous seed.
- Perennial varieties may be propagated by tip cuttings, layering or division.
Definition of layering in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.