Definition of leatherwood in English:
1An evergreen American shrub or small tree with tough, flexible bark.
- Cyrilla racemiflora, family Cyrillaceae
- Following his initial studies, Bill began an experiment to test the hypothesis that low temperatures during winter limit the sexual reproductive success of western leatherwoods at certain sites.
- But we're quickly succumbing to the river's magnificence; its sweet-tasting, clear waters, tinged brown by the tannin leaching off plants, surging and meandering between banks crowded with a jostling throng of trees, tall leatherwoods dropping white blossoms into the foam-covered eddies.
- The wide temperature swings characteristic of the leatherwood flowering period in the Upper Peninsula is probably among the most severe within its range.
2A Tasmanian eucryphia tree which bears fragrant white flowers and yields tough pinkish timber.
- Eucryphia lucida, family Eucryphiaceae
- Myrtles and leatherwoods thickly adorn the river bank and the large grass tree (richea pandanifolia) is also present.
- After much prompting and insistence by beekeepers, Forestry Tasmania agreed to try and retain leatherwoods (subject to safety considerations) in one of the Class 4 (small flowing streams) stream reserves of 10m on either side of the stream, on the Northern side of the coupe.
Definition of leatherwood in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan