Definition of leaven in English:
- Once active, even a small amount of leaven will be able to convert a very large quantity of new flour and water into fresh leaven overnight.
- Once a batch of bread has been mixed with the leaven, there are two ways in which the system can be perpetuated.
- Being in the world, the Christian acts within the culture as a leaven, trying to transform it by communicating to others the redemption brought by Christ.
- A little leaven certainly has the power to affect the whole lump.
- After only five years of agitation, without abuse from us or any aggressive propagandism on our part, the leaven of this great truth has begun to work.
verb[with object] Back to top
- These ingredients have been used individually in the preparation of other yeast leavened dough products.
- There is only one time when leavened bread was offered, to represent the thanksgiving of the people.
- An extrusion method is used to obtain leavened dough products with desirable characteristics.
- There is humour enough to leaven proceedings.
- Frazier's sense of humor leavens his troubling reflections on the roles evil and envy play in the terribly sad history of the Sioux, in particular, and Native Americans in general.
- In typical Tutu fashion - leavening painful moments with humour and lifting the spirit in joy - the archbishop had the congregation smiling while reflecting on the sacrifices Naude had made.
- Example sentences
- Baking soda is a leavener that requires an acidic ingredient in a batter to help a baked good rise.
- Self-rising flour has leavener already in it (like baking powder or baking soda).
- Most baking powders sold in stores are double-acting, which means the leavener starts working immediately once the ingredients are combined, and continues to work during baking.
elevate from Late Middle English:
The word elevate is from Latin elevare ‘to raise’, based on levis ‘light’, found also in alleviate (Late Middle English) ‘lighten’, levity (mid 16th century), relieve (Middle English), and the leaven (Middle English) used in bread-making to lighten the loaf.
Words that rhyme with leavenBevan, Devon, eleven, Evan, heaven, Pleven, seven, Severn
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.