noun (plural same)
A rough-coated grazing antelope with pointed hoofs and long horns, found in swampy grassland in southern Africa and Sudan.
- Genus Kobus, family Bovidae: two species, in particular K. leche
More example sentences
- A group of red lechwe jumping and scattering in different directions can quickly confuse a lion.
- Kafue lechwe are happiest standing in up to 50 cm depth of water, only coming out to rest or calve.
- The lechwe reaches almost six feet long, about 42 inches at the shoulder, and weighs up to 270 pounds.
mid 19th century: from Setswana.
Definition of lechwe in:
- The US English dictionary