noun (plural lectionaries)
- A list or book of portions of the Bible appointed to be read at divine service: the Deacon was given the task of preparing a new lectionaryMore example sentences
- Dating back to the 4th century, Christians and churches have used lectionaries of Biblical readings.
- Indeed, this last pattern forms the basis of many lectionaries used for Morning and Evening Prayer.
- This publication contains information on how to customize the lectionary for local needs.
late 18th century: from medieval Latin lectionarium, from Latin lect- 'chosen, read', from the verb legere.
More definitions of lectionaryDefinition of lectionary in:
- The US English dictionary