A plant related to the onion, with flat overlapping leaves forming an elongated cylindrical bulb which together with the leaf bases is eaten as a vegetable. It is used as a Welsh national emblem.
- Allium porrum, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
More example sentences
- Add more oil to the pan and cook the onion, carrot, leeks and celery gently till soft.
- Onions and leeks were cultivated as flavourings and wild garlic may have been used.
- Asparagus is a member of the lily family and closely related to onions and leeks.
Old English lēac, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch look and German Lauch.
Definition of leek in:
- The US English dictionary