Definition of leery in English:
adjective (leerier, leeriest)informal
Cautious or wary due to realistic suspicions: a city leery of gang violence
More example sentences
- The market turmoil and lack of good financial knowledge has made them leery of equities.
- Businesses were a little leery, understandably, about investing and adding jobs.
- I was a little bit wary or a little bit leery because he had to pick the gun up and put it in the bag, so of course I was watching what he was doing.
- Example sentences
- I share Davies' leeriness with regard to management consultants.
- Phoenix and New Hampshire prosecutors have, at least, overcome their leeriness at even charging bishops or cardinals.
- Also implied here is an understandable leeriness on Bartov's part of the possibility that such art draws on the power of the Holocaust merely to energize itself and its forms.
Words that rhyme with leerybeery, bleary, cheery, dearie, dreary, Dun Laoghaire, eerie, eyrie (US aerie), Kashmiri, peri, praemunire, query, smeary, teary, theory, weary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.