- An assertion that is accepted as true for legal purposes, even though it may be untrue or unproven: one must remember that landownership is ultimately simply a legal fictionMore example sentences
- This ability is, in reality, a legal fiction, a useful lie the court tells itself.
- It may have its root, philosophically, in the legal fiction that a corporation is a person.
- By a legal fiction, U.S. tort law considers a Catholic bishop liable for the criminal acts of his clergy.
More definitions of legal fictionDefinition of legal fiction in:
- The US English dictionary