Definition of legalize in English:
Make (something that was previously illegal) permissible by law: homosexuality and abortion have been legalized
More example sentences
- For less than a year it was legalised by statute in the Northern Territory of Australia.
- It's time to fix the bankruptcy law that has legalized the corporate robbery of workers.
- Two years later, the government introduced another measure legalizing civil marriage.
make legal, decriminalize, legitimize, legitimatize, legitimate, validate, ratify, permit, allow, admit, accept, authorize, sanction, warrant, license, approve, countenance, pronounce lawful, give the stamp of approval to;
informal OK, give the go-ahead to, give the thumbs up to, give the OK to, give the green light to, say the word, give one's blessing to
- Example sentences
- So the Canadian Association of Police Boards denounced the legalization of illicit drugs, including marijuana.
- I have to point out here that we must not conflate legalization with decriminalization.
- Many benefits would come from decriminalisation or legalisation with regulation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia