- Relating to or denoting plants of the pea family (Leguminosae). These have seeds in pods, distinctive flowers, and typically root nodules containing symbiotic bacteria able to fix nitrogen. Compare with papilionaceous.More example sentences
- Golden peanut oil is a by-product of the leguminous plant native to Mexico.
- Still, no one had figured out how leguminous plants assimilate nitrogen.
- Tomato has an advantage if planting follows leguminous crops like groundnuts and beans which put nitrogen back into the soil.
late Middle English (in the sense 'relating to pulses'): from medieval Latin leguminosus, from legumen (see legume).
More definitions of leguminousDefinition of leguminous in:
- The US English dictionary