A patch of ground used for communal display in the breeding season by the males of certain birds and mammals, especially black grouse.
- Groups of males form leks, or display grounds in the tundra breeding areas.
- Males gather on a communal breeding ground, or lek, to display for females.
- Males utilize bright mating colorations when displaying on the lek and contribute only genes to their progeny.
verb[no object] (usually as noun lekking) Back to top
Take part in a communal display on a lek: antelopes mate in lekking grounds
More example sentences
- If this is so, then a female mating with a lekking male may be avoiding the less healthy males of the population by default.
- Hermits usually form leks and congregate on traditional lekking grounds, where females visit to choose a mate.
- Such simultaneous sampling may be common in lekking and chorusing species, which have been the subjects of many studies of sexual selection.
late 19th century: perhaps from Swedish leka 'to play'.