- An arboreal primate with a pointed snout and typically a long tail, found only in Madagascar. Compare with flying lemur.
More example sentences
- Lemuridae and other families, suborder Prosimii; includes also the sifaka, indri, and aye-aye
- Even endangered species, like Diana monkeys, lemurs, and gibbons, are for sale.
- Primitive primates called lemurs fill the ecological roles of woodpeckers, squirrels and monkeys.
- Primates including forest-dwelling ancestors of today's lemurs and tarsiers flourished in the trees.
late 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin lemures (plural) 'spirits of the dead' (from its spectre-like face).
More definitions of lemurDefinition of lemur in:
- The US English dictionary