Entry from US English dictionary
1A group of North American Indian peoples who formerly occupied the Delaware and Hudson River valleys, with existing populations in Oklahoma, Kansas, Wisconsin, and Ontario.
- The mask appearing on the flag of the Lenni Lenape is divided vertically into black and red halves.
- The contributions of the Lenni Lenape are documented and memorialized here at the Museum.
- The native Lenni Lenapes were a peaceful tribe with no centralized governing structure.
1.1A member of one of the Delaware peoples.
- Most of the Lenni Lenapes are now living in Oklahoma.
- There is no reliable written record of Lenni Lenapes marrying or living with the people who eventually settled in the mountains and became known locally as a distinct group.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: Len·ni Len·a·pe
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.