Definition of lens in English:
1A piece of glass or other transparent material with curved sides for concentrating or dispersing light rays, used singly (as in a magnifying glass) or with other lenses (as in a telescope).
- His first telescope was made from available lenses and gave a magnification of about four times.
- I have two pairs of glasses with different coloured lenses for different light conditions.
- Because of the extreme curve of the glasses, the lenses are hard to fit to a frame - and that makes them costly.
1.1The light-gathering device of a camera, typically containing a group of compound lenses.
- The Standard lens is actually one of the most neglected lenses in your camera bag.
- With that he tosses the paper across, and goes back to his camera lenses and his camera lens cloth.
- The solution to this is to get right next to the glass, so that your camera lens is flush with the glass surface.
1.2 Anatomy short for crystalline lens.
- The posterior chamber is found behind the iris and in front of the lens and ciliary bodies.
- The dioptric system includes the cornea, the lens, the aqueous humor within the anterior eye chamber, and the vitreous body.
- With age, your eyes are less able to produce tears, your retinas thin and your lenses gradually turn yellow and become less clear.
1.3 short for contact lens.
1.4 Physics An object or device which focuses or otherwise modifies the direction of movement of light, sound, electrons, etc.
- Designed much like a compound microscope, the electron microscope uses a beam of electrons focused through magnetic lenses.
- The first and second lenses operate jointly to concentrate and collimate the incident light beam.
- In order to concentrate more light at the aperture, they placed a glass ball lens on the upper side of the tip prior to the assembly step.
- 1lensed adjective
- Example sentences
- Many applications use only the forward output of a lensed LED.
- Views into the three numbered motel rooms through lensed eyeholes presented a similar mix of persistence and decay, presence and abandonment.
- The group is currently developing a hybrid lensed fiber bundle and apertured cantilever array.
- 2lensless adjective
- Example sentences
- In order to avoid the distortions of reality that lenses produce, Strindberg often used a lensless pinhole camera of his own construction.
- Hudec uses a lensless camera called a zone plate pinhole, which allows her to render life the way she sees it - fleeting, sensual and fragile.
- My experience with lensless imaging as my primary creative medium has shown me the pinhole camera's tremendous versatility and essential mystery.
Words that rhyme with lensBenz, cleanse, Fens, gens
Definition of lens in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.