- 1(In the Christian Church) the period preceding Easter, which is devoted to fasting, abstinence, and penitence in commemoration of Christ’s fasting in the wilderness. In the Western Church it runs from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, and so includes forty weekdays.More example sentences
- To this end he will be eating as little as possible from the beginning of Lent until Easter.
- These aren't the words we would normally want to hear on the day before Lent begins.
- Since one must reserve a room six months in advance, I made plans last fall to visit this Lent.
Middle English: abbreviation of Lenten.
More definitions of LentDefinition of Lent in:
- The US English dictionary