Of or resembling a lion or lions: a handsome, leonine profile
More example sentences
- Robert Graves, leonine, ascended grandly and delivered hilarious impromptu remarks before declaiming a poem.
- Both the horse and the hawk are unruly, the latter swirling its head around instead of waiting in obedient stillness, and the dogs have curiously rounded leonine heads.
- Does that mean he's supposed to be more edgy than his smiling, soft leonine friend?
Words that rhyme with leoninecanine • asinine • saturnine
1Relating to any of the popes named Leo, in particular denoting the part of Rome fortified by Leo IV (d.855).
- The Leonine revival of Thomism stressed the primacy of divine over natural law and gave the clerical reconquest of Christian civilization a philosophical rationale.
- The Leonine revival featured not only the harnessing of Thomas' thought to confront modernism, but as a necessary preparation, the modern editing of his sizeable corpus.
noun(Leonines) Prosody Back to top
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan