noun[mass noun] Biology
- The first stage of the prophase of meiosis, during which each chromosome becomes visible as two fine threads (chromatids).More example sentences
- Early recombination nodules are protein complexes 100 nm in diameter that are associated with forming synaptonemal complexes during leptotene and zygotene of meiosis.
- Early meiotic stages, leptotene or zygotene, were observed.
- The bouquet forms at late leptotene and early zygotene and is coincident with chromosome pairing.
early 20th century: from lepto- 'narrow, fine' + Greek tainia 'band, ribbon'.
More definitions of leptoteneDefinition of leptotene in:
- The US English dictionary