- 1A lack of energy and enthusiasm: there was an air of lethargy about himMore example sentences
sluggishness, inertia, inactivity, inaction, slowness, torpor, torpidity, lifelessness, dullness, listlessness, languor, languidness, stagnation, laziness, idleness, indolence, shiftlessness, sloth, phlegm, apathy, passivity, ennui, weariness, tiredness, lassitude, fatigue, sleepiness, drowsiness, enervation, somnolence, narcosis• rare hebetude
- He was particularly upset with police lethargy and lack of enough vehicles for night patrolling.
- Pardon my lethargy and lack of imagination as I continue my romp through our holiday snaps.
- A good breakfast is important for refilling our energy stores, keeping lethargy at bay during the morning hours.
- 1.1 Medicine A pathological state of sleepiness or deep unresponsiveness and inactivity: a history of weight loss, lethargy, and fluid retentionMore example sentences
- Some of the other side effects of the strong pain medications include confusion, lethargy and sleepiness.
- Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, lethargy and indifference.
- Monitor for clinical symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, lethargy, edema, jaundice, and seizure breakthrough.
late Middle English: via Old French from late Latin lethargia, from Greek lēthargia, from lēthargos 'forgetful', from the base of lanthanesthai 'forget'.