noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A hydrophobic amino acid which is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: (CH3)2CHCH2CH(NH2)COOH
- The aspartate can be used as a precursor for the synthesis of other amino acids such as asparagine, threonine, isoleucine, leucine, valine, lysine, and methionine.
- Key essential amino acids are valine, leucine, isoleucine, tryptophan and methionine.
- In simple terms, BCAAs are made up of three amino acids: leucine, isoleucine and valine.
early 19th century: coined in French from Greek leukos 'white' + -ine4.
More definitions of leucineDefinition of leucine in:
- The US English dictionary