(also levator muscle)
- A muscle whose contraction causes the raising of a part of the body: the principal levators of the wing [followed by Latin genitive]: levator scapulaeMore example sentences
- In the shoulder girdle, the serratus anterior, upper and lower trapezius, levator scapulae and rhomboid muscles are involved.
- Research by Arat indicates the first two muscles affected by an over-loaded limbic system are the levator scapula and upper trapezius.
- With the upper trapezius, the levator scapula lifts your shoulder blades.
early 17th century: from Latin, literally 'a person who lifts', from levare 'raise, lift'.
More definitions of levatorDefinition of levator in:
- The US English dictionary