Definition of leveller in English:
1.1A situation or activity in which distinctions of class, age, or ability are immaterial: he valued the sport because it was a great leveller
More example sentences
- The myth of the draft as a class leveller comes from WWII, where it was only true for about six months.
- It's the great leveler, the only thing that breaks through the class barriers and makes us equal.
- The lesson is that the Internet is going to be the great leveler.
2 (Leveller) A member of a group of radical dissenters in the English Civil War (1642-9) who called for the abolition of the monarchy, social and agrarian reforms, and religious freedom.
- Benn goes on to say that the founders of the socialist tradition in England were the radical Christian dissenters of the English Revolution (the Levelers and Diggers) who resisted the privatization of communally owned village land.
- They elected ‘agitators’ to express their views and radical groups like the Levellers gained huge support within the army.
- It is true that some former Levellers retreated into religious passivity, internalising their revolutionary ideology and seeking a godly republic within.
Definition of leveller in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan