noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A synthetic steroid hormone which has a similar effect to progesterone and is used in some contraceptive pills.More example sentences
- We have Progestasert (a progesterone IUD), which is still available as well as the newer Mirena, which relies on the hormone levonorgestrel, a synthetic progesterone.
- Plan B uses a form of the synthetic hormone progestin, called levonorgestrel, to block ovulation and fertilization of the egg in a process similar to what happens with use of traditional birth control pills.
- It consists of the hormone levonorgestrel, a common ingredient in birth control pills.
1970s: from levo- (it being a laevorotatory isomer) + norgestrel, a synthetic steroid hormone.
More definitions of levonorgestrelDefinition of levonorgestrel in:
- The US English dictionary