- Apart from other harassment, sexual assault and passing lewd remarks reign supreme.
- Twelve viewers complained that one of the performances included lewd and offensive gestures.
- When he drank too much he would become abusive, and could also be lewd and crude.
- Example sentences
- Suddenly a group of inebriated young men came bouncing along the line of parked vehicles, greeting us lewdly as they stomped great dents into the cars' roofs and bonnets.
- Students of the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies who use vulgar language and dress lewdly have been publicly chided by a senior tutor.
- There were no signs they had broken a cafe window, behaved lewdly towards women or that there had been an attack by Leeds fans with metal bars.
- Example sentences
- They don't even complain about the lewdness and promiscuity being displayed on the so-called soap operas.
- Official charges are public indecency and public lewdness.
- As the member of a women's club that constantly crusades against public lewdness and drinking - the same club that got the science teacher fired - she believes that sex should never be discussed in the home.
Old English lǣwede, of unknown origin. The original sense was 'belonging to the laity'; in Middle English, 'belonging to the common people, vulgar', and later 'worthless, vile, evil', leading to the current sense.
Old English lǣwede is of unknown origin. The original sense was ‘belonging to the laity’ as opposed to the church; in Middle English the sense became ‘belonging to the common people, vulgar’, and later ‘worthless, vile, evil’ which led to the current sense ‘sexually crude and offensive’.
Words that rhyme with lewdallude, brood, collude, conclude, crude, delude, dude, elude, étude, exclude, extrude, exude, feud, food, illude, include, intrude, Jude, mood, nude, obtrude, occlude, Oudh, preclude, protrude, prude, pseud, pultrude, rood, rude, seclude, shrewd, snood, transude, unglued, unsubdued, who'd, you'd
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: lewd
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.