Remove or loosen restrictions on (something, typically an economic or political system): several agreements to liberalize trade were signed
More example sentences
- Under new licensing laws designed to liberalise the system, all establishments which sell alcohol or hot food will have to apply to renew their permits by August 6 or cease trading in November.
- Efforts to liberalize the economy and democratize the political system have led to corruption and exacerbated the gap in wealth between government officials and the citizens.
- He wanted to liberalise the Soviet economy without corresponding political reform.
- Example sentences
- More than 20% of the total population of some strong trade liberalizers, such as Bolivia, Nepal and Mali, are undernourished
- The socialists, who have had a virtual monopoly in Greece for 20 years, proved to be more effective market liberalizers than the conservatives.
- This stage is usually followed by economic decline, anti-Western backlash, and a retreat to policies that were the initial target of the economic liberalisers when the process first started.
Definition of liberalize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.