noun (plural liberos)Soccer
- another term for sweeper ( sense 2).More example sentences
- In soccer the bulk of media and fan attention is paid to the midfield liberos or the prolific goal-scorers.
- Ballack's former life as a libero has ensured that he shares with Matthaus a rare ability to shore up the midfield as well as punctuate it with important passes and well-timed surges into opponents' penalty boxes.
- Oxford's men's team were missing their enigmatic libero (a specialist passer), Denis Zuev, but Benjamin Collier confidently took his place.
1960s: from Italian, abbreviation of battitore libero 'free defender', literally 'free beater'.
More definitions of liberoDefinition of libero in:
- The US English dictionary