Definition of lid in English:
1A removable or hinged cover for the top of a container: a dustbin lid
More example sentences
- The removable lid of the two-chambered container supported the plant and was opaque.
- A ghosting of orange eye shadow covered his lids and the slightest trace of orange lipstick made him look like a punk rocker.
- After covering the containers with a lid, they were placed into a water bath at 40°C.
1.1 (usually lids) An eyelid: eyes hooded beneath heavy lids
More example sentences
- They were a soft hazel, with heavy lids and dark circles beneath.
- If lipstick looks too shiny on your eyelids, dust your lids with loose powder foundation to tone down the color.
- She looked at him with wise, solemn blue eyes, hooded by delicate yet heavy lids.
keep a (or the) lid on informal
- Keep (an emotion or process) from going out of control: she couldn’t keep the lid on her simmering angerMore example sentences
- He was barely able to keep a lid on them, using secret police and brutal repression.
- He fits the profile of the classic moderate New York Democrat, like his predecessor, who frequently fought to keep a lid on taxes in the city.
- The only thing that kept the lid on everything was not the secret police or army but a system of intricate favours with just enough people lining their pockets and everyone owing the big man.
- 1.1Keep secret: she keeps a very tight lid on her private lifeMore example sentences
- Yet competing media outlets, anxious to preserve their access, obligingly kept the lid on.
- But who are the people who are keeping the lid on all this?
- It's not just the reporters who are keeping a lid on all the good things going on.
put a (or the) lid on
- informal Put a stop to: it’s time to put the lid on all the talkMore example sentences
- You have been very passive about something that is entirely within your control to put a lid on.
- But now there will be no putting a lid on what will be a huge clamour for a windfall from customers who have every right to it.
- The final decision was to put a lid on any further investigation of Jack the Ripper.
- British informal Be the culmination of a series of acts or events that makes a situation unbearable: he has been in a lot of pain and this just puts the lid on itMore example sentences
- Now, to put the tin lid on it, scientific research has revealed that their fans are the most tone-deaf in the entire Premiership.
- Five fail-to-appears and an escape in ‘79 put the lid on it.
take (or lift) the lid off (or lift the lid on)
- informal Reveal unwelcome secrets about: the programme lifts the lid on the true scale of the bungled police investigationMore example sentences
- Sometimes the rule that lets us lift the lid on the nation's secrets comes up with humdrum stuff.
- A lighthearted charity auction will lift the lid on the bathroom secrets of the stars next month to help autistic children - by auctioning autographed toilet seats.
- The new committee also plans to lift the lid off Athy's secret and promote the waterways at a national level by advertising in national newspaper and magazines.
- Example sentences
- In 1886 Queen Ranavalona Ill sent two large textiles, a small bone pin, and a lidded fiber basket to President Grover Cleveland to commemorate his election.
- Those of you who enjoy whittling green sticks into skewers can make damper bread, a traditional Australian bush bread that is either baked in a cast-iron lidded camp pot buried in the embers, or on sticks over the fire.
- Alternatively, if you are using a lidded cast-iron casserole dish, you can cook the dish in the oven set to 150 C.
- Example sentences
- Thanks to the lidless litter section, trash is exposed and rotting.
- That guy who used to play a lidless grand piano was always right in front.
- In ancient days astronomers might have read ominous portends in that lidless eye.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan