- A right to keep possession of property belonging to another person until a debt owed by that person is discharged: they shall be entitled to a lien on any lot sold make sure there are no liens against the car [as modifier]: they may assert a lien claim on your propertyMore example sentences
- The solicitors have claimed a lien on their file until their fees, which are substantial, are paid.
- The lien may be claimed and maintained so long as the article remains in the possession of the lien claimant.
- Mrs. D. will transfer her interest in the matrimonial home to Mr. D. provided that she can lift the Legal Aid liens on the property to a payment agreement form.
mid 16th century: from French, via Old French loien from Latin ligamen 'bond', from ligare 'to bind'.
More definitions of lienDefinition of lien in:
- The US English dictionary