- Instead: the company issued additional shares to shareholders in lieu of a cash dividendMore example sentences
- So, in lieu of my own words, let me direct you instead to some recent offerings from my fellow citizens.
- The gig was fine, and in lieu of sandwiches we got a rather nice meal in the tapas bar that's in the theatre complex.
- Every year, he gives £500 to a chosen charity in lieu of sending out Christmas cards.
Middle English: via French from Latin locus 'place'.
More definitions of lieuDefinition of lieu in:
- The US English dictionary