- 1 • informal A person serving a life sentence.More example sentences
- At that time there was a lifer population of some 5200 prisoners, of whom over 3700 were mandatory lifers, in prisons in England and Wales.
- Before most lifers die in prison, they grow old, get sick, and must be cared for.
- I meet adult prisoners, including lifers, every day in education and we all take the same classes.
- 2North American A person who spends their life in a particular career, especially in one of the armed forces.More example sentences
- His career as a Colgate lifer illustrates the company's determination to constantly strengthen its management bench through a combination of global job opportunities and personal development.
- A career soldier in a family of military lifers, Dallaire was appointed to head the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Rwanda in June 1993.
- Most of the lifers think that the military lacks discipline and blame the new ‘Nintendo generation’ soldiers for the weakness.
More definitions of liferDefinition of lifer in:
- The US English dictionary