1 informal A thing that saves one from serious difficulty: a microwave could be a lifesaver this Christmas
More example sentences
- A proud mum has hailed her two-year-old toddler as a lifesaver - after he saved her from falling into a diabetic coma.
- Her family will tonight welcome hundreds of volunteers to a blood sample session at a West Timperley pub in a bid to find the lifesaver who can help Shannon.
- Nominees might be heroic lifesavers who have put themselves in danger to help somebody else.
2 (also surf lifesaver) Australian /NZ A lifeguard working on a beach.
- The event was a great success and the community's efforts will go a long way towards covering the large insurance premiums the club will have to pay to keep volunteer lifesavers on the beach this season.
- So there were eighty lifesavers on the beach at that crucial moment.
- With the surfing season about to commence, it is time to be mindful of the great contribution our volunteer surf lifesavers make to our way of life.
Definition of lifesaver in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.