Definition of ligament in English:
- There were whispers that he had torn the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.
- He has had one surgery, to repair a torn ankle ligament during his first pro year.
- Then, if necessary, the lateral ankle ligaments were repaired.
- In the second trimester, the muscles and ligaments that support your uterus stretch.
- Halfway down the larynx the paired vocal folds (commonly known as the vocal cords), formed by ligaments covered with mucous membrane, project inwards from its wall.
- Generally, it is found in the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and ligaments supporting the uterus, although it can occur in a number of different locations.
Late Middle English: from Latin ligamentum 'bond', from ligare 'to bind'.
rely from Middle English:
The word rely is from Old French relier ‘bind together’, from Latin ligare ‘bind’. The original sense was ‘gather together’, later ‘turn to, associate with’, which then led to ‘depend upon with confidence’. The same Latin root gives us liable [ 1642] originally meaning ‘bound by law’, ligament (late 16th century), and ligature (Middle English), both originally used for anything that ties.
- Example sentences
- Therefore, in larger shells, only the latest built ligamental chevrons and the ventral ends of the older ones remain functional.
- The articular surface of the head lacks the ligamental fossa.
- In the duplivincular ligament system, the lamellar ligament is stretched between the ligamental areas on the two valves, exerting a force to open the valves, while the fibrous ligament acts passively along the hinge axis.
- Example sentences
- Radiographically documented cervical spine injuries were considered clinically insignificant only if they were isolated and no evidence of other bone injury or ligamentous or spinal cord injury existed.
- When all support is disrupted or detached, the distal clavicle loses all ligamentous connection, allowing it to rise superiorly.
- In other words, the stiffer the brace and its interface with the foot, the greater the proportion of the external rotation moment the brace will resist and the less the peroneal muscles and lateral ligamentous tissues have to resist.
Definition of ligament in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.